If you're planning on spending time away this Easter, make sure you keep your home safe and secure.
Here are some home safety tips...
Easter is a great time to get together with family and friends, crack open a chocolate egg or two and relax. Sadly, like any popular holiday period, it's also a great time for criminals to target homes.
Whether you're hosting the fun, visiting relatives or heading on holiday for the Easter break, following these tips will help make sure your property stays safe and secure.
One of the main reasons for the rise in theft, burglary and robbery over easter is most likely due to homes being left empty whilst people are away visiting friends and relatives. Criminals take advantage of these empty 'Aladdin's Caves'.
If you are going away, it's important you don't advertise the fact. Firstly, avoid discussing holiday plans on public social networking sites, no matter how excited you might be at the prospect!
Secondly, make it look like you are at home by:
- Using automatic timer-switches to turn your lights and radios on when it goes dark.
- Cancelling any newspaper or milk deliveries.
- Not letting mail pile up. See if a neighbour can collect it or use the Royal Mail's 'keepsafe' service which holds on to your mail until you return (five days' notice is required, so don't leave it too late).
If you are staying at home this Easter, then you still need to be vigilant.
- Using automatic timer-switches to turn lights on is not only good for when you are away, but can also be beneficial in the winter months with its long nights. You might also want to consider fitting a motion sensor flood light at your front door.
- In most burglaries, criminals break into properties through the door, either by forcing the lock or kicking it in. Make sure your doors are strong and secure.
- Fit window locks with keys to all downstairs windows and those upstairs that are easy to reach.
- Secure your property's perimeters, ensuring fences are well maintained and side gates are locked.
- If you are lucky enough to own valuable jewellery, a small safe could be a wise investment.
- Hide your keys, especially car keys. It's bad enough if someone steals items from your home, but don't gift them your car as well!
- Consider electronic security measures, including an intruder alarm system (also known as a burglar alarm system). Ensure it is professionally monitored.
Stanley Security smart home gives you more
A STANLEY Security powered system provides solutions to monitor, protect and automate your home. More than a smart app or a cool device, STANLEY Security seamlessly connects the key systems in your home on one Platform, so they work more intelligently together.
With STANLEY Security you can:
- Protect what matters most
- Take control of your energy use
- Ensure safety and peace of mind
- Instantly see what you care about
Smart home security
Keep your home and loved ones protected with professionally monitored smart home security and always be connected to what's happening at home.
Dedicated connection - create unique user codes to know who's coming and going at all times.
Personalised user codes - get real-time notifications by push notification and email the moment something happens in your home.
Instant alerts - your system will continue to work even if the security panel is damaged or the phone line is cut.
Patented crash and smash protection - dedicated and secure cellular communication provides safe and reliable uninterrupted protection.